Letter from the Chair
On behalf of the Board of Directors of the National Latino Children’s Institute, we are pleased to announce the launch of a bilingual, multi-media campaign to prevent injuries and fatalities among young Latinos due to unrestrained drivers and passengers.
Although automobile accidents are the leading cause of death in the U.S. among Latinos between the ages of 5 and 34, there are few programs designed to educate and inform them of the importance of seat belt use. The campaign, “Do it for your family, buckle up” (Hagalo por la familia, ¡abróchese el cinturón!), helps fill this void and has the potential of saving thousands of lives annually and preventing countless more injuries.
To address this alarming issue and reach Latinos, NLCI collaborated with the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration (NHTSA) to develop this new, culturally and linguistically appropriate campaign.
NLCI hopes to continue to build and connect a nationwide network of informed leaders and organizations that serve and support young Latinos. The campaign is one more example of our commitment. Working together to implement the “abróchese el cinturón” campaign, and disseminating the important messages to everyone is a key step in making the campaign a widespread movement.
We urge you to examine the various components of the campaign and use the materials to inform the families you serve about the importance of seat belt use for drivers and passengers alike. The guidebook provides detailed instructions on how to use the campaign and the 30-second video illustrates the terrible consequences to the family of not using seat belts.
What can I do? There are several things you and your organization can do. The following are some examples.
- Join NLCI in the fight to end fatalities and injuries due to unrestrained drivers and passengers by signing on as a supporter of the campaign. Use the campaign materials to inform your community about the importance of seat belt use. Issue a joint press release announcing your partnership with NLCI. A draft release is provided in the toolkit for your use.
- Post an article on your website encouraging your viewers to learn more about the “abróchese el cinturón” campaign. Include a link to the toolkit at www.nlci.org.
- Identify and train staff within your organization who are knowledgeable about the various campaign materials and who will incorporate its use within your organization’s programs and events.
- Disseminate campaign materials to your social media networks.
- Distribute campaign materials including posters, palm cards, and stickers at community events. They can be easily printed from the NLCI website.
- Host a special event for parents and their families informing them of the importance of seat belt use.
- Publish the “#abrochate” campaign messages in your newsletter, magazine, website, twitter and facebook pages.
- Post a campaign poster in your office.
Seat belt use is an effective way of saving lives and preventing injury! We can win this fight!
Maria Rita Jaramillo, Board Chair
National Latino Children’s Institute
Please leave a comment: